Railroaded

I started researching train station scenes and I'm more sure now of my decision. I believe that keeping it in one location will build the tension and intrigue for the opening scene, nevertheless, i have to keep the shots interesting to make sure my audience does not get bored.

I watched the film Brief encounter over the weekend and I really liked the classic romance. The train station scene is iconic, and i would like to pull some ideas from it like the waving back to his lover, but i don't know if it's allowed so I'll have to find out. The storyline is also similar to what i want, since the lovers can't be together because of difficult circumstances.


Of course i could not make a post about train station scenes without including Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat by The Lumière Brothers (1895). Hopefully my audience doesn't run screaming out of the theater (get it?). Even though I believe the one shot worked perfectly for this film, for mine i don't think it would be a good idea since it would feel static, and i plan on having some dialogue. Not a lot though because i want to keep some mystery going. 


I also watched Some like It Hot's train scene and the shots are amazing. I LOVE the shot if the feet moving, I absolutely want to do one like that, which is something i wanted to do with my old story in the airport like before. I also want the girl in the film to be dressed super fancy, and have an attitude like Marilyn in the excerpt.


I decided to start looking at some pictures of urban Train stations to see how i would like to organize my shot list. 

Here are some that i liked:
Image result for miami train stationThis one could be where some dialogue takes place.
Image result for miami train station I liked this because I could maybe introduce a character.
Image result for urban train station This one could be used to introduce the setting.

 Here are some i think would not work for me because of my location, resources or aesthetic:

Image result for urban train stationSadly there are no underground trains/metros near me.
Image result for urban train station I would've loved a scene like Gossip Girl's first scene, but theres no grand central station near me, or anything like it.

st!

Day, Pippa. “7 Most Iconic Train Stations in Cinema.” WOW247, www.wow247.co.uk/2014/07/10/most-iconic-train-stations-in-cinema-86795/.


VideoJordan. “Favorite Train Scenes from the IMDb Staff.” IMDb, IMDb.com, 12 Oct. 2015, www.imdb.com/list/ls000292369/


Kai, JAMES, director. EXCERPT FROM 'SOME LIKE IT HOT"YouTube, JAMES Kai, 22 May 2010, www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQqnJw7xL0.


Romleydavies, director. Brief EncounterYouTube, Romleydavies, 13 Jan. 2011, www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGDCTlVWduk


Subtletybleighton, director. Gossip Girl 1x01 - Serena's Back! YouTube, Subtletybleighton, 1 Dec. 2008, www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e7ABbeWxr0.


Lumiere Brothers, director. Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat (The Lumière Brothers, 1895)YouTube, Raphaeldpm, 27 May 2006, www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk

No comments:

Post a Comment