Scouting is for the brave

INSPIRE others, inspire yourself, get out there and look! Be aware.

I know I'm a little ahead of the game here and there is more important things I should be prioritazing, but I have already started looking for our main protagonist. Since I want this film to be as authentic as possible, I tried to envision if me playing the main character was going to be possible. After careful consideration of everything I would have to do during the production, the equipment set up, the shot composition, the script, the mise-en-scene, the camera handling, the lighting, I realized that also acting was virtually impossible, and would make my life 10000x harder, especially considering I do not own a tripod. Not that I couldn't get one, but for this project I think I'm better off staying behind the camera, so I can have better control of the other aspects of the production, and focus on those. 
I decided I wanted someone that could authentically relate to my story, someone that had gone through a similar experience and had an emotional connection to the conflict. I asked several friends who I knew had immigrated recently about what they thought of the whole process,  and how it had affected their personal relationships.  I was at the beach on Friday, and as I spoke with my friend it came to me that she would be perfect for the role, but later that night my other two friends also came to mind. I narrowed it down to two friends: Ana and Sara, who both moved in 2018. Ana was ruled out pretty quickly once I learned she can't ride a bike, and that is a major part of the short film. So it was down to Sara. I also had another friend in mind but for different reasons. Natalie has the vibe I want my character to have, the style, the personality, but not necessarily the connection to the content. Therefore, I decided I was going to try them both. And also consider their schedules, as Sara works and goes to college, while Natalie is a second semester senior......... Natalie was also practically raised here, and has no accent, while Sara just started learning english, which is something I need to consider in terms of how I want my character to be portrayed and represent. I'm leaning more towards Sara, as she also has a background of performing, but nothing is clear. 
I decided all I need to know if my girls are the one is to audition with the most important scene: the bike scene. I don't need them to be Meryl Streep or Saoirse Ronan, I just want it to feel authentic. So in the next week or so I will be meeting with them and trying out said scene. If none of them work, then the scouting continues but until then... 
st!

No comments:

Post a Comment