What to do if you don't know what to do

IRONY is key here, since you try the opposite of what you want, to learn what you actually want. You try everything!
This year so far we have  done a documentary, and a trailer. Last year we did a music video, and the film opening.  We've come a long way indeed. #growth.

From Amalthea






to Tune


 All incredibly filling projects that have taught me and helped me grow so much. They have also taught me why I don't want to do them as my portfolio.  Let's take a ride through memory lane :)

It all started with the MUSIC VIDEO. Amalthea's Static Noise. One of the most fun projects ever. With Static Noise I learned the importance of storyboarding and having a plan B. We had storyboarded VERY roughly, but then it rained, and plans had to change rather quickly. The editing process was also a mess, and hello why didn't we shoot more b-roll???????? Matching the song with the shots was SO hard. And while I loved the vibe from our band, that we got to create, I realized that if the creative idea or the brand of the band or artist didn't match mine, or my vision, in the end is all about branding, and I wouldn't have full creative control. Not to mention I don't know any local bands. So even though I completely loved shooting one, and editing to the beats is my favorite thing, and the dreamy immersive, completely world transforming vibe of music videos amazes me, we ruled out the music video.
A little bit after we did the DOCUMENTARY. AH Trinkets. What a nice little wholesome project. This was the first time I didn't edit a whole project myself. It was nice collaborating with Sophie and mixing our editing skills, even though I only edited the intro. It was refreshing giving up some of the control I'm usually used to. Shooting this was SO  much fun, and incredibly interesting.  I shot Marco's interview, and once again used some BECON TV equipment that was SO nice. I loved shooting that interview mainly because I learned so much about a thing my friend was incredibly passionate about, that I wouldn't have before. The whole exploration and research and learning of a topic that comes from doing a documentary is my favorite part of documentaries.  I also had a pretty huge self realization moment when we were doing critics in class. As we were watching the docs, and listening to what others recommended for ours, it hit me that I wanted to do this forever. I realized I had stuff to say. I stopped seeing my work in a self deprecating way, and started seeing it as opportunities to grow. I started being proud of what I was making, and that was pretty big for me. Hello new major :). BUT besides all that, it was a no for the doc. I felt like the conventions were a little hard to challenge. Not that I don't like a challenge, but I wasn't connecting with the vibe and style of them. I admire the dedication of all of it, but given as what I like most about producing is the mise-en-scene, the sound, the art direction, and docs tend to be less about aesthetics, and more about content, it didn't feel like it was for me.
(we're not doing this chronologically for a reason so trust me for a second <3)
The most recent, the TRAILER. Oh how I loved the trailer. Mixing everything I love. A little bit of montage, music, storylines, everything about it is I believe everything I like doing. So why didn't I chose it? It was just to recent. I was actually proud of how I went about doing this one. I actually outlined, storyboard, chose the soundtrack, and stuck to the schedule. I edited with time, but again struggled with sound, cause when do I not :/. However, I didn't have control of the story since we used short stories done by the creative writing students., And I got to say I LOVED it. It gave me a chance to focus in so many more things in a more detailed way.  Having just done it though, I wasn't to eager to jump right on the trailer wagon again.
And now the one you know all about. The FILM OPENING. Yes, that is not an option for the A level portfolio project, but I had to include it because it played a big part in my decision. I learned what not to do, and trust me I can go on and on about how my film opening could've been slightly better, but that is not the point. I learned that no matter how much you plan, sometimes you have to improvise. It taught me that I want to tell the full story. With the full liberty of my stylistic choices, my storyline, and a story I can tell from beginning to end. From all the projects this will be the first one I will actually do completely by myself. Yes, I no longer have a partner. However, this is exciting! This will be completely and fully mine! I'm as equally terrified as I am excited.
So there it is, that is why I chose to do a short-film by myself.
st!

No comments:

Post a Comment